Easy to make and 20 minutes of honey boba can be super comforting in summer. It only needs 4 ingredients, honey boba pearls or regular boba pearls, honey, milk of choice, and black tea.
What’s boba or bubble tea
Boba or bubble milk tea comes from Taiwan in the 1980s. The classic versions of milk tea include taro bubble tea, brown sugar boba, and strawberry boba.
This honey boba is slightly different because we don’t need to cook any type of syrup. Simple syrup or brown sugar syrup is commonly used in classic milk teas. However, we will use honey both for the cooked boba pearls and as the sweetener for the milk tea.
About the honey boba pearls
All common types of boba pearls can work fine with this recipe. You can use even crystal boba, popping boba, or other jellies as an add-on to the milk tea. But here in this particular recipe, I am using honey boba pearls. They are made with honey, a small portion of brown sugar, water, and tapioca starch. It has a lovely deep amber color similar to honey. You can purchase them directly or make those chewy lovely boba pearls at home.
I shared lots of boba pearls recipes previously, including
Ingredients for honey boba
Boba pearls – I use honey boba pearls. Any other popular types of boba work fine as a substitute.
Honey– works as a sweetener both for the cooked boba pearls and the milk tea. Honey is a natural sweetener. It has a unique, floral flavor that can vary depending on the type of flowers the bees used to make it. Choose your favorite type of honey to sweeten up this milk tea.
Milk- choose whole milk or you can also use other plant-based milk like almond milk or coconut milk.
Ice cubes– for a chilled summer version. This can be served as a warm beverage too.
Black tea- it provides a lovely tea base with a bold, brisk, and astringent flavor. And it also helps to improve the color of the mixture.
Homemade honey boba
If you are going to make the boba pealrs at home. Honey and brown sugar will be both used as sweetener and coloring ingredients.
Regular boba pearls are made from tapioca starch. You can also try to make honey crystal boba or honey-popping boba at home.
Instructions about how to make honey boba pearls are listed in the recipe section below.
Cook the boba pearls
Homemade boba pearls require longer cooking time. Add the boba pearls to a pot with hot boiling water (at least 5 times more water), and then cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the fire, and let it stand for another 10 minutes. Transfer out and soak in cold water. Strain and mix well with honey. Now our honey boba pearls are ready.
You can also choose instant honey boba pearls,which only requires 5 minutes cooking because those pearls are pre-softened.
How to make honey milk tea with boba pearls
We are making 2 servings today. Place 2-3 red tea bags and add 400ml filtered hot water. For a stronger taste, use 3 tea bags.
Place the cooked boba pearls in the bottom and then add some ice cubes. Pour in cooled black tea liquid and milk. You can change the sequence of tea and milk for different effects.
Honey boba- honey milk tea
For honey boba pearls
- 90 ml water
- 2 tbsp. honey , for the dough
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- more starch for dusting.
- 1 tbsp. honey for coat the cooked boba pearls
Honey boba -honey milk tea
- 2-3 black tea bags
- 400 ml boiling water
- 1 cup half and half
- ice cubes
- 2 tbsp. honey
To make the honey boba pearls
- Add brown sugar and honey in hot boiling. Turn off the fire, and add half of the starch. Mix for 5-6 seconds. add the remaining starch.
- Knead until the dough is almost smooth. Then cut into four pieces, and shape each piece into a long log. Pinch a small portion and roll it into a round ball. Dust with more starch to avoid sticky. Then shift the extra flour off with a strainer.
Cook the boba pearls
- Add the boba pearls to a pot with hot boiling water (at least 5 times more water), and then cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the fire, and let it stand for another 10 minutes. Transfer out and soak in cold water. Strain and mix well with honey. Now our honey boba pearls are ready.
Brew the tea
- Add around 400ml of hot boiling water to 3 black tea bags. Steep for 3-5 minutes. Then transfer the tea bag out.
- Place the cooked boba pearls in the bottom and then add some ice cubes. Pour in cooled black tea liquid and milk. Then add honey to sweeten.
- You can change the sequence of tea and milk for different effects. Stir well before enjoying.