Have you ever heard of winter melon milk tea? It is a traditionally Taiwan beverage popular the same with classic Taiwanese milk tea, belong to fruit bubble tea group.
Winter melon milk tea is a popular beverage that has gained popularity in recent years. This drink originated in Taiwan and has since spread to other parts of the world. The drink is made by combining winter melon syrup with milk tea and ice, resulting in a refreshing and sweet beverage that is perfect for any time of the day. It can be a super unique and different milk tea option from the classic ones or fruit ones.
What’s the taste of winter melon milk tea
Winter melon milk tea has a unique taste that is both sweet and refreshing. The winter melon syrup used in the drink is made from winter melon, a type of fruit that is commonly used in Asian cuisine. The syrup is then mixed with black tea and milk, resulting in a creamy and delicious drink that is perfect for those who have a sweet tooth. Winter melon milk tea can be served hot or cold, depending on the preference of the drinker.
Winter melon milk tea has become a popular drink in many parts of the world, with many cafes and tea shops offering this beverage on their menu. Whether you are a fan of tea or just looking for something new to try, winter melon milk tea is definitely a drink worth trying.
Knowing basic of winter melon
Winter melon, also known as white gourd or ash gourd, is a fruit that is commonly used in Asian cuisine. It has a mild flavor and is often used in soups and stews. In Taiwan, winter melon is also used to make a sweet syrup that is used in a variety of desserts and drinks, including winter melon milk tea.
Origin of winter melon tea
The exact origins of winter melon milk tea are unclear, but it is believed to have originated in Taiwan in the 1980s. The drink quickly gained popularity and spread to other countries in Asia, as well as to the United States and Europe.
Today, winter melon milk tea is a staple in many tea shops and cafes around the world. It is often served with tapioca pearls, also known as boba, which add a fun and chewy texture to the drink. Some variations of the drink also include other flavors, such as honey or fruit syrups.
Overall, winter melon milk tea is a delicious and unique beverage that has become a beloved part of Taiwanese and Asian culture.
Ingredients and Preparation
Winter Melon Syrup
Winter melon syrup is the key ingredient in winter melon milk tea. This syrup is made by boiling winter melon with sugar until it turns into a thick, sweet liquid. To make winter melon syrup, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups winter melon cubes
- 1 cup of sugar- I use brown sugar this time
To prepare the syrup, first peel the winter melon and remove the seeds.
Traditionally winter melon skins will be kept but it gives a much stronger taste. Personally I love to remove the winter melon skin.
Cut the winter melon into small cubes. Transfer the cubes into a pot and then add in brown sugar. Mix them until every cube is wrapped with brown sugar. Rest the mixture for 10 minutes so there will be a small layer of liquid at the bottom.
Start the fire and cook for 10 minutes over medium low fire, stir from time to time.
Strain the syrup out and discard the winter melon cubes. You can slightly press the cubes to maximize the amount of syrup.
Strain the mixture and discard the solids. The syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Winter Melon Tea Base
To make winter melon milk tea, you will need a milk tea base. This can be made by brewing black tea and adding milk and sugar. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 1.5 cup of water
- 4 tbsp. winter melon syrup
ASSEMBLE WINTER MELON MILK TEA
We use two ways of assembling for this winter melon milk tea:
- boba version: add cooked black boba pearls in your serving cup and ice cubes if you prefer. Then pour in milk and winter melon tea base.
- Rainbow jelly version: if you want the winter melon milk tea more interesting and colorful, use rainbow jelly to replace boba pearls. Then add ice cubes, pour in milk and winter melon tea base. Stir well before enjoying.
Winter melon milk tea can be customized with a variety of toppings. Some popular options include boba pearls, jelly, and pudding. Here are some additional toppings you can add to your winter melon milk tea:
- Tapioca pearls- is the most classic and common choice for milk tea
- Grass jelly – melt-in-mouth jelly with an herbal taste
- Aloe vera
- Red bean boba – also known as sweetened red beans
- Other jelly-like crystal boba or rainbow jelly
To add toppings to your winter melon milk tea, simply prepare them according to the package instructions and add them to the drink before serving.
winter melon milk tea
- 2 cups winter melon cubes
- 1 cup brown sugar , or white sugar if you want a lighter color
- 400 ml water
Winter melon milk tea with boba
- 3 tbsp. cooked boba pearls , or 3 tbsp of rainbow jelly
- 1/2 cup winter melon tea base
- ice cubes , as needed
- 1/2 cup milk , 100ml milk in jelly version
Winter melon milk tea with rainbow jelly
- 3 tbsp. rainbow jelly
- ice cubes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup winter melon tea base
winter melon juice
- pour in winter melon cubes and brown sugar into a pot. blend and rest for 10 minutes.
- heat the winter melon over low fire and stir it until the liquid comes out.
- strain the winter melon mixture and press with a spoon to maximize the syrup. remove the cubes.
- pour in water, ice cubes and winter melon syrup into a shaker. shake it and the winter melon tea base is done.
winter melon milk tea with jelly
- use a serving cup. add in ice cubes and rainbow jelly, pour in 150 ml milk and 100 ml winter melon tea base. stir well before drinking.
winter melon milk tea with boba
- add ice cubes, 100 ml milk, boba pearls into a cup, and pour in 180 ml winter melon tea base. stir to mix before enjoying
Winter melon milk tea is a versatile drink that can be customized to fit different preferences. Here are two popular variations of winter melon milk tea:
Winter Melon Lemon Tea
Winter melon lemon tea is a refreshing and tangy twist on the classic winter melon milk tea. The lemon adds a burst of citrus flavor that balances out the sweetness of the winter melon. Some tea shops also add fresh mint leaves to enhance the drink’s freshness.
Here are some popular variations of winter melon lemon tea:
- Winter melon lemon green tea: This version uses green tea instead of black tea, which gives the drink a lighter taste.
- Winter melon lemon honey tea: Some tea shops add honey to the drink, which adds a natural sweetness and complements the lemon flavor.
Winter Melon Matcha Milk Tea
Winter melon matcha milk tea is a fusion of two popular drinks: winter melon milk tea and matcha latte. The matcha powder adds a distinct earthy flavor and a vibrant green color to the drink. Some tea shops also add boba pearls to give the drink a chewy texture.
Here are some popular variations of winter melon matcha milk tea:
- Winter melon matcha latte: This version uses more milk than tea, which creates a creamier and smoother texture.
- Winter melon matcha boba: Some tea shops add boba pearls to the drink, which adds a fun chewy texture that complements the earthy matcha flavor.
How to Serve and Enjoy
Winter melon milk tea is a refreshing beverage that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Here are a few tips on how to serve and enjoy this delicious drink:
- Serve winter melon milk tea chilled or over ice for a refreshing and cooling drink.
- Add toppings such as boba pearls, grass jelly, or aiyu jelly to give the drink some texture and flavor.
- Use a clear glass or cup to showcase the beautiful golden-brown color of the tea.
Winter melon milk tea has a unique flavor that can be paired with a variety of foods. Here are a few suggestions:
- Spicy foods: The sweetness of the winter melon can help balance the heat of spicy dishes.
- Salty snacks: The mild flavor of the tea can help cleanse the palate between bites of salty snacks.
- Asian desserts: Winter melon milk tea pairs well with traditional Asian desserts such as mochi, red bean soup, and sesame balls.
Overall, winter melon milk tea is a versatile and delicious drink that can be enjoyed in many different ways. Whether you prefer it with toppings or on its own, it’s a refreshing beverage that’s perfect for any time of day.
Buying and Storing Tips
When it comes to buying winter melon milk tea ingredients, there are a few things to keep in mind. Here are some tips to help you get the best ingredients for your winter melon milk tea:
- Choose fresh winter melon: Look for winter melons that are firm, heavy, and have a smooth surface. Avoid melons that have soft spots, bruises, or cracks. The fresher the melon, the sweeter and more flavorful your tea will be.
- Select the right milk: Use whole milk or cream for a richer and creamier taste. If you prefer a lighter taste, you can use skim milk or almond milk.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your winter melon milk tea is made with the best ingredients and has the best flavor possible.
Potential Health Benefits and Concerns
Winter melon milk tea is a popular drink that has been enjoyed for many years. While it is a delicious treat, it is important to consider the potential health benefits and concerns associated with consuming this beverage.
Winter melon milk tea contains several beneficial nutrients that may help improve overall health. Some of the potential health benefits include:
- Vitamin C: Winter melon is a good source of vitamin C, which can help boost the immune system and protect against disease.
- Antioxidants: Winter melon contains antioxidants that can help protect against free radical damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
- Hydration: Milk tea is a good source of hydration, which is important for maintaining healthy skin, digestion, and overall bodily functions.
While winter melon milk tea can provide some health benefits, it is important to be aware of potential concerns associated with consuming this beverage. Some of the potential health concerns include:
- Sugar Content: Most winter melon milk tea recipes contain a high amount of added sugar, which can lead to weight gain, tooth decay, and other health issues.
- Caffeine: Milk tea typically contains caffeine, which can lead to jitteriness, anxiety, and disrupted sleep patterns in some individuals.
- Additives: Some winter melon milk tea recipes may contain additives such as artificial flavors and colors, which can be harmful to health if consumed in large amounts.
Overall, while winter melon milk tea can be a delicious and refreshing treat, it is important to consume it in moderation and be aware of potential health concerns associated with this beverage.
Winter melon milk tea is a refreshing and unique drink that is gaining popularity around the world. Its subtle sweetness and creamy texture make it a perfect choice for those who want a break from the usual bubble tea flavors.
In this article, we explored the origins of winter melon milk tea and how it is made. We also discussed the health benefits of winter melon and its nutritional value.
Winter melon milk tea is a great alternative to sugary drinks and can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Its low calorie count and high fiber content make it a good option for those who are watching their weight or trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Overall, winter melon milk tea is a delicious and healthy drink that is worth trying. With its unique flavor and health benefits, it is no wonder why it is becoming more popular among tea lovers worldwide.
What is winter melon milk tea made of?
Winter melon milk tea contains brewed winter melon herbal tea, milk, sugar/sweetener, and optional toppings like boba pearls. The key ingredient is winter melon (also called ash gourd), a type of melon from Asia that gives the tea a sweet, floral flavor.
Yes, when made properly, winter melon milk tea can be a relatively healthy drink. Winter melon provides vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. Milk also contains protein, calcium, vitamin D and potassium. Moderate amounts of sugar are used in traditional recipes.
How is winter melon milk tea different from other bubble teas?
Winter melon milk tea stands out from other boba teas because of its distinctive winter melon flavor. Winter melon tea has been drunk for centuries in China for its cooling properties. Other boba drinks are usually based on black tea, green tea, oolong tea, or coffee.
What milk is used in winter melon milk tea?
Whole milk or low-fat dairy milk is most commonly used to get the creamy, rich texture. Non-dairy milks like soy, almond or oat milk can also be substituted. Powdered milk or creamer are sometimes used too.
Yes, you can serve it warm.
Winter melon milk tea was created in Taiwan in the 1980s. It combines traditional Chinese herbal winter melon tea with creamy Taiwanese bubble tea. The drink became popular across Asia before spreading to Western countries in the early 2000s.