In addition to regular boba pearls which are made from tapioca starch, we already talked about crystal boba. But there is another group- bursting boba which is also known as popping boba since it is quite light and in most cases, can float on the surface of the bubble drink.
What’s Bursting Boba
Bursting boba, also known as popping boba or bubble popping boba, is a unique, modern twist on classic boba drinks. It is a soft boba ball filled with fruit juice that “pops” or “bursts” delightfully in your mouth when chewed.
Unlike traditional boba, which have a uniform tapioca starch or fruit jelly texture throughout, bursting boba consist of:
- An outer jelly/algae-based shell
- Inner fruit juice filling
When you bite into a bursting boba, the outer shell breaks open and releases a burst of sweet fruity flavor from the inner filling. This gives a fun surprise texture and taste sensation!
Bursting boba originated in Taiwan in the early 2000s and became popular at bubble tea shops. It is now enjoyed around the world as a whimsical enhancement to many drinks.
You may find lots of flavors for bursting boba, from classic fruit flavors like strawberry and mango to more unique options like lychee and passion fruit.
It is a popular topping that can be added to a variety of desserts, including ice cream, frozen yogurt, and bubble tea. It adds a fun and unique texture to any dish and can be a great way to add a burst of flavor to your favorite treat.
How Bursting Boba is Made
Bursting boba are made using a multi-step process to create the jelly shell and encapsulate the liquid filling.
- Boba shell: Food-grade sodium alginate plus calcium lactate or calcium chloride
- Filling: Fruit juice from strawberry, mango, peach, passionfruit, etc. Or you can simply add food powder to add extra powders.
- Calcium lactate or calcium chloride is added to water to create a calcium-rich water bath.
- Fruit juice is prepared for the filling. Natural juices or syrups may be used.
- Sodium alginate is added to the fruit juice and mixed thoroughly to create the boba batter. Then a very long resting time, possibly overnight to make sure the inner bubbles are missing.
- The boba batter is carefully dropped into the calcium water bath using a syringe or piping bag.
- The calcium ions interact with the sodium alginate in the boba batter to create a gelled jelly membrane around the fruit juice filling.
- Freshly formed bursting boba are removed from the calcium bath and rinsed off. They are now ready to use or store.
The calcium bath is key to forming the jelly shell quickly around the fruit juice center. This technology creates the distinctive bursting boba texture.
How to make bursting boba at home
How we will take mango and Ube popping boba as demonstration and learn how to make bursting boba at home.
Prepare the inner juice: you will need water, mango cubes and sodium alginate. Add all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
If you are in hurry, strain the juice can help to remove some of the large bubbles. However long resting time is still needed to remove the inside small bubbles. Cover the strained mixture and rest in fridge overnight.
Mix calcium lactate and water in a bigger bowl and mix them until the liquid is transparent.
Use a dropper to suck the mango/ube batter and drop it into the calcium water.
Let the pearls soak in the water for around 1 minutes. Transfer out immediately.
For bigger boba, squeeze the batter into a spoon-shaped mould and then soak the mould in the calcium water. slightly shake the mould to demould.
mango busrting boba and ube bursting boba
- 1 blender
- 1 sieve
- 1 dropper
- 1 spoon-shaped mould, optional
- 1 cocktail shaker, optional
- 2 tbsp. mango cubes or 2 tsp. ube powder
- 200 ml water
- 1 L water
- 3 g sodium alginate
- 2 tbsp. ube powder
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 200 ml water
- 3 g sodium alginate
Calcium lactate water
- 30 g calcium lactate powder
- 1 L water
- Make mango juice – pour in mango cubes and water into a blender and blend it until the juice is smooth enough. if your mango is sour, add sugar powder into the blender. substitute mango cubes with ube power and sugar to make ube popping boba.
- Mix in sodium alginate – add in sodium alginate powder to the blender and blend again until everything is evenly mixed. Shaking in a cocktail shaker is sufficient in ube version
- Filter the batter – pour the batter into the sieve to get rid off mango pulps or ube lumps to acheive a velvety mouthfeel
- refrigerate the mixture – seal the batter and refrigerate it for 2 hours to get rid off the inner air bubble
- Prepare calcium lactate bath – mix calcium lactate and water in a bigger bowl and mix them until the liquid is transparent
- Bath the batter- use a dropper to suck the mango/ube batter and drop it into the calcium water. For bigger boba, squeeze the batter into a spoon-shaped mould and then soak the mould in the calcium water. slightly shake the mould to demould.
- Scoop out the popping boba-remove boba from calcium water after 1 minute and store them in clean water.
- Now your bursting boba can be used to make bubble tea or milk teas.
Varieties of Bursting Boba
Bursting boba, also known as popping boba, is a popular topping used in various desserts and drinks. They are small, translucent, and spherical balls filled with flavored juice that burst in your mouth when bitten. Bursting boba comes in various flavors, colors, and sizes. In this section, we will explore some of the most popular types of bursting boba available in the market.
Fruit Flavored Bursting Boba
Fruit-flavored bursting boba is the most common type of boba available. They come in various fruit flavors such as strawberry, mango, blueberry, passion fruit, and more. These boba are perfect for adding a burst of fruity flavor to your drinks and desserts.
Yogurt Flavored Bursting Boba
Yogurt-flavored bursting boba is another popular type of boba. They have a creamy texture and are perfect for adding a tangy flavor to your desserts and drinks. These boba are available in various yogurt flavors such as strawberry, blueberry, and peach.
Coconut Flavored Bursting Boba
Coconut-flavored bursting boba is a unique type of boba that is perfect for adding a tropical flavor to your drinks and desserts. These boba have a creamy texture and are perfect for adding a burst of coconut flavor to your drinks and desserts.
Other bursting boba
There are lots of creations of bursting boba now including the sago bursting boba, red bean bursting boba. In which sago and red beans are included. It is hard to finish those types at home. The most easy homemade busting boba is fruit based types.
How to use bursting boba
Uses of Bursting Boba
Bursting boba is a popular food ingredient that can be used in a variety of ways. Let’s explore some of the most common uses of bursting boba in both beverages and desserts.
Bursting boba can add a fun and unique twist to any beverage. They are commonly used in bubble tea, smoothies, and cocktails. The burst of flavor that comes from biting into the boba is a delightful surprise that can enhance the overall drinking experience.
Some popular beverage options that use bursting boba include:
- Bubble tea: This Taiwanese tea-based drink is a popular choice for bursting boba. The chewy texture of the tapioca balls complements the burst of flavor from the boba, creating a unique and enjoyable drinking experience.
- Smoothies: Adding bursting boba to smoothies can add a burst of flavor and texture to the drink. The boba can be paired with a variety of fruits and flavors to create a customized smoothie.
- Cocktails: Bursting boba can be used as a garnish for cocktails, adding both flavor and visual appeal to the drink. They are particularly popular in fruity and tropical cocktails.
Bursting boba can also be used in a variety of desserts. They can add a pop of flavor and texture to everything from ice cream to cakes. Some popular dessert options that use bursting boba include:
- Frozen yogurt: Bursting boba can be added as a topping to frozen yogurt, adding a burst of flavor and texture to the dessert.
- Ice cream: Bursting boba can be mixed into ice cream to create a unique and flavorful treat. They pair particularly well with fruity ice cream flavors.
- Cakes and tarts: Bursting boba can be used as a filling for cakes, adding a burst of flavor to each bite. They can also be used as a cake decoration, adding both flavor and visual appeal.
Overall, bursting boba is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of ways. Whether in a beverage or dessert, the burst of flavor and texture that comes from biting into the boba can enhance the overall eating or drinking experience.
Buying and Storing Bursting Boba
When buying bursting boba, it is important to consider both the flavor and size. Some retailers may offer assorted packs, which can be a great option for those who want to try different flavors.
The size of the boba is also an important consideration. Smaller boba is typically used in drinks, while larger boba can be used as a topping for desserts. It is important to check the size before purchasing to ensure it fits the intended use.
Bursting boba is often sold in bulk. It is important to consider how much boba is needed before making a purchase to avoid waste. Some retailers may offer smaller quantities for those who do not need a large amount.
Storing bursting boba is relatively easy. Boba should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
Once opened, boba should be consumed within a few days to ensure freshness.
If you need to store it for a longer period of time, store in the refrigerator with the original container.
Bursting boba is an exciting addition to the world of bubble tea and other beverages. It adds a unique texture and burst of flavor to any drink. Bursting boba is a great way to add a fun twist to your favorite drink.
In conclusion, bursting boba is a great option for those looking to add some excitement to their beverages. It is a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of drinks. Whether you are a fan of fruity or creamy drinks, bursting boba can add a burst of flavor to any drink.
1. Do you drink or chew bursting boba?
Bursting boba must be chewed before swallowing to get the full popping texture and juice. Gently bite to break the jelly coating then chew thoroughly before gulping down.
2. How long do bursting boba last unrefrigerated?
Properly sealed, unused bursting boba can be kept at room temperature for up to 4-5 days. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. For longer storage, freeze for several months.
3. Are bursting boba vegan?
Most commercially made bursting boba use food-grade algae to form the jelly shell, making them vegan-friendly. However, some may use gelatin so check ingredient lists if following a vegan diet.
4. Can you make bursting boba with water?
No, the filling for bursting boba must be a fruit juice, puree, or syrup to provide flavor. Using plain water does not produce a palatable bursting boba. The juice is vital for taste and sensory appeal.
5. What drinks go well with bursting boba?
Bursting boba pair great with cold, creamy drinks like bubble tea, milkshakes, smoothies, and slushies. The flavors complement fruity teas, juices, lemonades, and frappes too. Try different combinations!